Quantcast

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Playgrounds & Lollipops - Something Special

{Dress: Anthropologie; Necklace: Juicy Couture; Shoes: Sam Edelman; Watch: Michael Kors}
A piece of clothing usually has to offer something special for me to actually make the purchase.  Whether it's the unexpected color of a short, the detailing on a cardigan, or even the little cuff at the bottom of a pant, there has to be something about it that makes it just 'different'.  Of course I didn't always have this expectation, it's something I've developed just recently in the last 2 years I'd say, but it's allowed me to really and truly love anything I've added to my closet.  I can honestly say that 99% of the things I've purchased in the last couple of years, I have no regrets about.

This dress, "the dress" as some of my friends call it, is no exception.  The print is bold yet somehow still manages to be soft, the ruffled bottom hem that adds extra twirl, and the waist detail is my favorite by far.  Belted, nipped in and with hidden on seam pockets, yes pockets!  I've had this dress for over 2 years now and have worn it to baby showers, wedding showers, mother's day brunch, my daughter's birthday party, book signings to meet famous bloggers, and to concerts at the Hollywood Bowl.  There's just about nothing this dress can't do.
Yes, this dress is bold and makes a statement, which usually means people won't forget it and friends have seen me wear it over and over again.  That used to really bother me and I used to think I had to have something new for anything.  In my twenties I would think a night out to dinner required a new blouse or a fun dress.  Then the reality of a mortgage, 2 kids and 1 income sets in and you let that stuff go...you have to let it go.  But believe me, if you love what you're wearing it makes it a whole heck of a lot easier.  So the next time you're adding something special like a dress to your wardrobe, keep an eye out for the details.  What makes it unique and special?  If you start with that requirement in mind first, you may just end up with something you'll love for years to come. 

*Thank you all for your excitement and suggestions for the new blog name!  I've been twirling it around all night and as much as I want to come up with something totally snazzy and different, I also am starting to think that associating it with the current name to some extent might be the best route.  Ah, blogger problems ;)  I'll make up my mind soon though!  Until then, any new ideas, please let me know!

Linking up with Lindsey for WIWW!

20 comments:

  1. WOW! That dress IS gorgeous. It would be my go-to, too. The pattern is perfect and the style- amazing. It looks so comfy, yet so chic. love it. Just call me jealous. *swoon* PS I completely agree- brand the new blog along with your existing blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that dress is sooo lovely. i love, love, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is a gorgeous dress! I love the bold prints. I can imagine anyone would feel confident in that dress. You look beautiful! I'm always so inspired by your style Andrea. See you Friday!

    PS Can you come teach me how to pose like that? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. the dress is awesome, yes.
    you make it fabulous.
    the colors are perfect for you, and your accessories accentuate the fun! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE "the dress". you look gorgeous!!! unfortunately i have not moved out of the "i need something new whenever i go out" stage...the only difference is that i never go out anymore so it balanced out. =)ha ha

    the stylish housewife

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful dress! Where did you get it from?

    ReplyDelete
  7. looove that dress.

    but i specifically love where you admit that you used to think you had to have something new for everything... that is totally me! even when i have things that i really really love, i don't think i can wear them again if they're too noticeable or obvious or bold. i always feel self-concsious wearing them too often. i think i need to get over that! i definitely don't have the money to be buying something new all the time either, so i usually just wear what i have and feel self-conscious. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this dress on you. I have a favorite bright item, too, and I wear it again and again simply because it makes me happy. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. gorgeous dress and I will also be the first to comment on the yellow toenail polish. Really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shot and the most gorgeous dress;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you know I love this dress, and I have a new glasses try-on session with your help idea for a feature :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun dress!! you look great

    Rebecca
    myaestheticstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks ladies! Erica M, I got the dress from Anthropologie 2 years ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. that dress is stunning! i love the bright colors..and the fit on you is so cute!

    Cami
    www.allthingslovelyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look amazing, love the pics out on the street too!
    This is only my third week linking up at WIWW.

    I currently have a fun anything goes linky at my blog that runs Friday through Monday each week. I just announced a new monthly “desperate 4 date night” linky and would love for you to join in on the fun. Here is the link explaing more.

    http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/08/welcome-to-new-desperate-4-date-night.html

    Thanks for you time and hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love....and did I say love??...that dress!! And thanks for commenting on our blog today :)

    - Emily at twogirlstwofriends

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great dress. Love the colours in it, so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looking FAB lady! This dress is beyond beautiful! I think it is great to have a "go to" piece. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous summer dress! I can't get enough of long dresses lately...going to miss them during the looong winter months.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...