Quantcast

Friday, August 20, 2010

Playgrounds & Lollipops - Casual Chic

*These 3 pictures above are the only ones I was able to capture before my camera took a major dump.  In to get serviced this weekend and hopefully it won't mean big bucks.  So please excuse the lack of proper photos.

So I emailed the VP of Human Resources last Friday to confirm the dress code for my new company.  She answered, "casual chic."  I showed up my first day looking very prim and proper in this outfit, and felt completely out of place.  Friends, I came from a company where the motto in the Sales department was "Tame the mane and gloss the lips."  We were expected to show up to work everyday in heels, a full face of makeup, hair properly coiffed, and attire overall fashionable and professional.  Let's just say that my new norm is flip flops, tube dresses, spaghetti straps and shorts.  Yes, I can wear shorts to work.  It's weird to me, and while I don't think I will ever wear a pair of flip flops to work, because it just doesn't seem right, I guess it's nice to have that option.  It is also nice to wear a wardrobe to work that I can easily transition back into mom mode when I am home.

Shoes: Calvin Klein via Marshall's for $15.  I almost got them 2 weeks ago for $25, but put them back.  When I popped in last night to return the Coach boots for $200 that I decided I didn't need, I found that these little numbers had been further marked down.
Shorts: Vera Wang for Kohl's.  I love the color of these shorts and the fact that they're not the typical boring khaki color.  They look good with just a plain black of white tank.  The fit is a little odd, as is most of the Kohl's Vera Wang line, so always try on first before buying.  I have learned my lesson with this brand.
T-Shirt: Forever 21
Blazer: Nordstrom TBD Department.  I really wanted a casual blazer in my wardrobe because I am always cold and it looks great with jeans, shorts, a dress, etc.  So I actually bought this for my interview and I love it.  It was $79, a little more than I wanted to initially spend, but after searching Forever 21 and the Brass Plum department and finding cheap fabrics and poor fitting styles, I went with this one for its quality and perfect fit.  I know I will get a lot of use out of it.

On another note, our offices are located in the beautiful city of Vernon, originally made famous for it's conglomerate of meat packing warehouses & slaughter houses.  Interestingly enough, the fashion industry has carved out its own little niche in this community, with Lucky Brand Jeans down the street from us, as well as BCBG.  So girls, if you ever need some sausage from say Farmer Johns, or some 80/20 5lb packages of ground beef product from Moran's, I'm your go to girl.  I've got you covered.  I'm a giver like that.

7 comments:

  1. ***sob*** I am SO sorry about your camera! I send my condolences :D I am sure it will be fine.
    The outfit is DARLING! Love the book - although, you really don't need it :D
    Glad you are enjoying your new gig! I was pleasantly surprised upon returning to corporate america that things have gone cas. Really cas. Although, I couldn't do flip flops either - being in the HR role.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll take one pound of 93/7 please.

    love this weeks outfit! and i really love that when you get the kids or show up at school from work you won't feel out of place. what a nice blend of your work and real life!

    how are you feeling about things so far? you look good. does that help? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute outfit! Hope your first week is going well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work hood is almost as bad mine! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look adorable. But I must say I'm loving the ring actually. Pretty pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to need you to dress me ASAP.

    You are totally cute.

    Vera Wang does eat it, I can't wear anything from that line at Kohl's. Every time I walk past it, I'm all, "It's not me, it's you, Vera" because I know it won't fit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore those shorts, that length is perfect. And can I have your legs, please?

    Are you enjoying the new job?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...